Ask Maxwell: Any Solution for Cold Summer Drinks for Kids that Aren’t Juice Boxes and Soda?
I, too, still find empty Capri Sun pouches around the house at times, but I do make a big shift in the summer to stop this trend. They’re fine for going to school, but when my daughter starts to rip through them at home because she’s thirsty it seems really wasteful, SO I have a really nice drink dispenser that I set up either in the fridge or on the counter in the summer.
This is the one that like. It’s from Crate & Barrel, and they have many versions, some plastic and some glass, but I like this glass one with the marble stand:
The drinks of choice? We do Country Time Lemonade or Gatorade powder mix, both of which lasts a long time as we usually don’t make it too sweet, but let it get watered down. When I keep it out during the day, I also put in a big block of ice that I freeze in a bowl in the freezer, which is a nice way of keeping it cool for hours.
This is not a novel solution, but I do find it appealing and it brightens up our kitchen on hot summer days as kids come and go, refilling their glasses. As for the endless glasses in the sink? I’m bamboozled by that one still.
Top 10 Most Popular Questions & Answers This Week
(I keep changing this each week based on your clicks)
- What’s the Best Inflatable Pool for Summer 2022?
- What’s my Best Beach Gear for Summer?
- What’s the Funnest/Funniest Thing I Found This Summer?
- What’s Your Quickest Go To Dinner for Kids?
- How Can I Help My Daughter to Fall Asleep?
- Childhood Memory: Dad & The Accident
- What’s the Importance of Boredom?
- Childhood Story: Orange Pants & The Purple Villain
- How Can I Get My Son Excited About Reading?
- What in the World Do I Gift my Tween?
Maxwell Ryan is a father and was an elementary school teacher in NYC before founding Apartment Therapy. He’d love to answer your question: email@example.com. This piece was created for Cubby, our weekly newsletter for families at home. Want more? Sign up here for a weekly splash of fun and good ideas for families with kids.
Cubby. Real solutions for unreal times.
Join us for a weekly dose of fresh, modern ideas for life at home with your kids.