Ask Maxwell: Best Rug for My Kitchen?
I’ve got the perfect solution for you and you couldn’t have done this so well when I started Apartment Therapy back in 2004. Since then the design and manufacture of indoor/outdoor rugs has absolutely taken off and I find they are the best solutions for high traffic areas like the kitchen — especially with food mess added in.
The pic above is from my kitchen in the country and the pic below is from my kitchen in my apartment in Brooklyn. Both are great and have lasted for years.
Here is a list of great resources for indoor/outdoor rugs which are made out of a variety of materials from plastic to vinyl to polypropylene:
1. Brita Sweden: These folks make beautiful, thin vinyl rugs in lovely modern patterns and color. They are not cheap, however, but they do stand out in the field and are super durable.
Top 10 Most Popular Questions & Answers This Week
(I keep changing this each week based on your clicks)
- Six Quick and Delicious Weekday Meals?
- My Father’s House – 1966
- My Favorite Christmas Carol Tradition
- Which Way Does The Toilet Paper Roll Really Go?
- Great Ideas for Fun Indoor Activities
- What’s Your Best Christmas Book Recommendation?
- Should You Lower the Toilet Seat to Keep Germs from Exploding Out?
- Thanksgiving Memory – 1995
- The Very Best of 2021
- How Do I Fix a Squeaky Floor?
Maxwell Ryan is a father and was an elementary school teacher in NYC before founding Apartment Therapy. He’d love to answer your question: firstname.lastname@example.org. This piece was created for Cubby, our weekly newsletter for families at home. Want more? Sign up here for a weekly splash of fun and good ideas for families with kids.
Cubby. Real solutions for unreal times.
Join us for a weekly dose of fresh, modern ideas for life at home with your kids.